Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

Well this is fun! okay last question...well maybe... i

Customer Question

Well this is fun!

okay last question...well maybe...
i have read mixed views on this and dont understand some things.

Can a supervisor record a privat conversation when im talking on the phone with someone else or with another employee. Can a supervisor record a conversation between just superviosor and I without my knowledge?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

Conversations regarding work would typically be legal to record as long as at least one party to the conversation consents to the recording.

Recording private conversations would not typically be legal without your consent though, assuming the other party has not consented to the recording either, so it depends on the nature and content of the conversation involved.

Here is a link that provides a good summary regarding the law with regard to recording conversations:

It has been my pleasure to assist you. Please remember to press the smiley faces/stars on the right of your screen when we are finished with our communication so I will be credited for my time.

Kindly remember to rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain your concern to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to you or not, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

Thank you very much and all the best to you,

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have: