Brandon, Esq.
Brandon, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Has received a certificate of recognition from the California State Senate for his outstanding legal service.
69271599

I was just given an agreement from my employer to end my employment.

I was just given an agreement from my employer to end my employment. I was not "fired" but terminated for "personal" reasons. What reason do I put on my application for unemployment insurance when the employer states he will not contest the application?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Brandon, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Employment-LawExpert :

I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question. I appreciate your patience while I respond to you. Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. I strive to provide excellent service, so if there is anything else I can help you with, or if you need additional clarification, please do not hesitate to ask. If you feel the need to click either "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", PLEASE STOP and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. If you feel that I am unable to do so, please inform me of such and I will be happy to opt out of this question so that another expert may better assist you. Please remember that no attorney client relationship exists between us and anything said between us is not intended as legal advice.

Employment-LawExpert :

You can simply say you were laid off and that should sufficient.

Employment-LawExpert :

Welcome to the chat

Employment-LawExpert :

To receive unemployment all you have to do is make an argument that you lost your job through no fault of your own

Employment-LawExpert :

Thus, if you are "laid off" or if you are fired because you were not a good fit, or for any other reason that does not constitute misconduct you will receive benefits

Employment-LawExpert :

Does that make sense?

Employment-LawExpert :

and the first line should have read should be sufficient.

Customer:

Would "Terminated without cause" mean the same thing? The employer said when asked he would tell the truth, but I was terminated due to a misunderstanding with another employee. I am the only deaf employee there and they do not understand that deaf people make noises they cannot hear themselves, so the other employee said they were scared. They are offering me a good agreement to leave.

Employment-LawExpert :

Terminated without cause would mean the same thing and you would likely get benefits. That being said, if you were terminated for being deaf (as it appears you were) then it is possible that you have a discrimination lawsuit against this employer which may be something you may want to consider looking into.

Employment-LawExpert :

When I say likely, I should clarify. By default, you would be granted benefits for that statement. However, if the employer decided to fight it, you would only be denied if the employer was able to prove that you substantially breached some duty that you owed to the employer

Customer:

If I sign the agreement, I agree not to sue. Lawsuits can be difficult and expensive to get done.

Employment-LawExpert :

Very true. Though, many employment attorneys do take cases on contingency which means that you pay nothing out of pocket. However, you are right that lawsuits are a prolonged process that can be frustrating. If they are offering you severance, it may be worth signing to not have to deal with the hassle of a lawsuit. I just wanted you to know that you had rights in this situation.

Customer:

Thank you for your help. I shall have to give this some consideration.

Employment-LawExpert :

Not a problem. I hope I have provided you excellent service. Before you go, please do not forget to take the time to rate my answer as one of the top three faces as this is how I receive credit for my time with you.

Brandon, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Has received a certificate of recognition from the California State Senate for his outstanding legal service.