Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

My wife, is a manager. She has a new boss who is a tenured

My wife, is a manager. She has a new boss who is a tenured professor at a major university. He has poor leadership skills, likely he would be diagnosed as a person with Asperger's syndrome. The situation has slowly devolved into what seems to me to be a hostile work environment. My wife knows the politics of the University; Faculty is never held accountable and staff are always perceived as losing any disagreement with Faculty policies. My wife is coming home feeling upset, defeated and undermined. She's losing weight, she's losing sleep and she has become very unhappy at work.

What options are there for my wife. She is despairing and afraid to push back for fear of retribution and because she feels it would be futile.

Can I sue her boss loss of household happiness?
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question. I am so sorry to hear about your wife's employment situation and can understand why both she and you are upset.

Regrettably, and contrary to what most people believe, there is no requirement of civility in the workplace and no law that prevents employers from being rude or even downright nasty to their employees.

Harassment and termination are generally only prohibited if they relate to an employee's race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, age (over 40), or sexual orientation. In such cases, an employee would have an actionable claim for discrimination.

Unless your wife can demonstrate tht she is being targeted on the basis of any of these "protected characteristics," she ordinarily would have no legal recourse. Accordingly, this sort of issue would best be handled through internal complaints to the administration, though from your post is sounds like the success of such approach would be unlikely.

I realize that the law is not in your favor here and I am truly sorry to have to deliver bad news. Nonetheless, I trust that you will appreciate an accurate explanation of the law and realize that it would be unprofessional of me and unfair to you to provide you with anything less.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX this information helps you and I wish you the best.

If you do not have any further concerns, I would be very grateful if you would give my answer a positive rating and click submit, as this is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you. If you have any additional concerns that you would like me to address, please feel free to let me know by hitting the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button and I will be more than happy to continue assisting you.

Finally, please bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.

Thank you and very kindest regards.