How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can an employer deduct pay from an comission based employee

This answer was rated:

can an employer deduct pay from an comission based employee for uncolected accounts recieveables? can a comission based employee be paid under minimum wage?

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

No, an employer cannot make deductions from commissions for uncollected accounts recievables. Also, a commissioned based employee, like all other California employees must be paid at least minimum wage.

This means that if you make less than minimum wage from your commissions, your employer must supplement your commissions so you make at lesat $8 on average.

If your employer is trying to make illegal deductions from your commissions or to pay you less than minimum wage, you should file a complaint and/or wage claim against your employer with the California Department of Industrial Relations, which you can do using the forms available online here:
Joseph and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

if this deducting of wages due to uncollected ar is compnay wide, would it qualify for a class action suite?


Hello Joshua,

Yes, if the deduction from wages due to uncollected accounts receivables is company wide it would qualify for a class action suit, since you would have a group of similarly situated individuals.

Related California Employment Law Questions