Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
4460311

Hello, my name isXXXXX was working with PDM Steel in

Hello, my name isXXXXX was working with PDM Steel in Fresno Ca. I was fired for lack of performance after I have told my boss I was on medication for my wisdom teeth. Is there anyway I can get some help and bring this wrong to right?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,

Do you have a medical condition that you disclosed to your employer and requested a reasonable accommodation? If so, what is the condition you disclosed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes. I told him that I was on pain meds and gave him the perscriptions and a note from the oral sergens office stating i was in pain because my wisdom teeth has shattered and shards of them was digging into my jaw bone. and it was only temperary and I will be better on the fallowing monday.

Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.
I see.

Does the employer have a policy they may have violated by terminating you for this?

Do you have any reason to believe you may have been discriminated against on the basis of your race, age (40 or older), gender, disability, or other protected status?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

NO there was nothing in my Employee handbook. And Yes I believ I may have been discriminated against, due to my temporary disability; as being under the influence of pain medication, due to my shattered wisdom teeth.

Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Unfortunately, the condition you describe would not typically be considered a disability under the ADA since it is only a temporary condition, so the ADA would not normally protect you from termination I'm afraid.

Courts have found that even a nine month condition is temporary and not a disability providing protection under this federal statute as contemplated under the ADA.

Therefore, there would normally be no legal recourse against the employer for terminating an employee for this reason.

However, the employee would typically be entitled to unemployment benefits while they seek other employment since this would not by itself normally rise to the level of good cause to terminate an employee, so I would apply for benefits today if you have not done so already.

Here is a link to initiate a claim:

http://www.edd.ca.gov/unemployment/filing_a_claim.htm

It has been my pleasure to assist you. Please remember to press the smiley faces/stars on the right of your screen when we are finished with our communication so I will be credited for my time.

Kindly remember to rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain your concern to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to you or not, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

Thank you very much and all the best to you,

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-tina/

Tina, Attorney
Experience: JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.