Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I am currently on UI benefits and want to take a Red Cross

I am currently on UI benefits and want to take a Red Cross class in CPR/First aid because my husband had a heart attack. This class would be aprox. 8 hours, part of the class would be on line and part would be in the class room. Would this type of class affect my UI benefits, I would have to pay for this class?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

Provided that you are not somehow going to be paid for taking this class, your enrollment in it would not ordinarily cause any problem with regard to your eligibility for unemployment benefits.

In certain limited circumstances, attending full time school will impact a claimant's eligibility for benefits, but the reason for this would be that the claimant has been found to no longer be seeking full time work due to their decision to "go back to school," or no longer "able and available" to accept full time work due to their full time class schedule.

With regard to a one time 8 hour class, these bases for disqualification simply would not be a factor. Accordingly, such class would not ordinarily affect benefits in any way.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX this information helps you and I wish you the best.

If you do not have any further concerns, I would be very grateful if you would give my answer a positive rating and click submit, as this is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you. If you have any additional concerns that you would like me to address, please feel free to let me know by hitting the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button and I will be more than happy to continue assisting you.

Finally, please bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.

Thank you and very kindest regards.