How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 12169
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am trying to find information about employment laws in the

Customer Question

I am trying to find information about employment laws in the context of working for a family run business. If I work for my parent in an established small business, am I covered under the employment laws as if I worked for someone else? Specifically in regards XXXXX XXXXX wages, working hours, etc.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

Yes, an individual who works for their parents' small business would be covered by the exact same laws governing wages, overtime, and working conditions as any other employee. There are no exceptions and no special exemptions from these laws for employees who happen to be related to their employers.

If you require any further clarification regarding this issue, please do not hesitate to ask and I will be more than happy to continue assisting you.

If you do not have any further concerns, I would be very grateful if you would give my answer a positive rating and click submit, as this is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you.

Finally, please bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.

Thank you and very kindest regards.

Related California Employment Law Questions