Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

I am trying to find information about employment laws in the

Customer Question

I am trying to find information about employment laws in the context of working for a family run business. If I work for my parent in an established small business, am I covered under the employment laws as if I worked for someone else? Specifically in regards XXXXX XXXXX wages, working hours, etc.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

Yes, an individual who works for their parents' small business would be covered by the exact same laws governing wages, overtime, and working conditions as any other employee. There are no exceptions and no special exemptions from these laws for employees who happen to be related to their employers.

If you require any further clarification regarding this issue, please do not hesitate to ask and I will be more than happy to continue assisting you.

If you do not have any further concerns, I would be very grateful if you would give my answer a positive rating and click submit, as this is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you.

Finally, please bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.

Thank you and very kindest regards.