Brandon, Esq.
Brandon, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Has received a certificate of recognition from the California State Senate for his outstanding legal service.
69271599

EMPLOYER IS REFUSING TO PAY ANY EMPPLOYEES IF THEY WORK OVER

EMPLOYER IS REFUSING TO PAY ANY EMPPLOYEES IF THEY WORK OVER THE 80 HOUR WORK PERIOD. ONE EMPLOYEE WAS SALARIED AT 90 HOURS PER PAY PERIOD , WORKING SOME SATURDAYS AND SUNDAYS BUT NEVER GETTING PAID FOR THE EXTRA HOURS BECAUSE SHE WAS 'SALARY" WHAT CAN BE DONE TO THIS EMPLOYER?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Brandon, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

If the employee is exempt, then there is not much that the employee can do. However, just because the employer calls the employee exempt does not make it so. If the employee is not exempt, they are entitled to their overtime wages, and they should contact the Department of Labor, or hire an employment attorrney in their area. If you decide to hire an attorney, a great resource is www.Martindale.com. This is a nationwide directory that is useful in finding highly qualified legal specialists in various fields of law. The lawyers in Martindale are not selected because they paid to be included, but rather because they have been rated by other attorneys as qualified experts in their field. Consider consulting with two or three different attorneys prior to selecting the one you feel most comfortable with. An employment attorney in a case like this would take your case on contingency which means that you would owe nothing out of pocket.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX or not the employee is actually exempt, unless the employee falls within the detailed guidelines for an exempt employee, the employee’s yearly salary is broken down into an hourly wage, and the employee is owed overtime when she works more than eight hours a day or 40 hours a week. To be exempt, the employee must earn at least twice California's minimum wage and meet detailed requirements about job duties. To figure out which employees are exempt, employers must look very carefully at each job description and the law.

To know if your job qualifies, you need to see if you fall under one of the actual exemptions. Here is a good website that talks about these exemptions in length:

http://www.pattersonlawgroup.com/am-i-really-exempt

If you believe you are entitled to all of these back wages, then you should contact an employment attorney in your area as it apperas there is a major class action lawsuit concerning what is going on.

Good Luck!

It has been my pleasure to assist you today. I hope I have provided you excellent service. Kindly remember to rate my answer only when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate my service as either “Bad” or “Poor”, please stop and use the REPLY TO EXPERT to keep talking. I am happy to assist you with whatever issue or clarification you may need and will take the time to explain any concern to your satisfaction. If you feel that I am unable to do so, please ask me to have another expert assist me and I will opt out immediately so that you receive the best possible service. Please remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to you or not, so please do not jump to a rating before you ask any questions you may have. I do not know what you may already know or with that you need help with unless you tell me.

I wish you the best in 2012. After fully reading the answer, please remember to press the smiley faces/stars on the right of your screen when we are finishing with our communication so I will be credited for my time in assisting you. Have a wonderful rest of your day.

Brandon, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Has received a certificate of recognition from the California State Senate for his outstanding legal service.