LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.

An employee has failed to submit proof of legal status upon

An employee has failed to submit proof of legal status upon being hired. I know the employee has 3 days from the date of hire to provide proof but the employee is stating that they have applied for a new one and waiting to hear back from the governmental entity. He could provide us with a receipt showing that he's applied. How long can we wait for the proof?
Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion.

The employer has only 3 days after hire to prepare the I-9. Failure to do that can result in substantial fines and lawsuits by the Department of Justice.

A receipt for applying for proof of eligibility is not adequate proof for the employer and may not be relied on is offering employment.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

Until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be credited with helping you. Would you please rate me now, based on my assistance to you in understanding the law.

I wish you the best in 2012,