socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

CA - Is there a time limit on expense reimbursement for employers?

CA - Is there a time limit on expense reimbursement for employers? I have found lost expense forms and receipts from 1999 that I would like to file.
An employee is entitled to reimbursement for all expenses incurred within the scope of employment, under Labor Code 2802. The statute of limitations on enforcement of a reimbursement claim under Section 2802 is three years. See Code Civ. Proc. 338(a). Based upon the time that has passed, if the employer refuses to reimburse you, then you could not enforce your claim in court or through the California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE).

So, you can submit your reimbursement claim to your employer. But, if your employer refuses to reimburse you, you won't be able to do anything to force reimbursement.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. I hope my answer is useful and informative to you. During our conversation, the website may ask you to rate my answer. If you rate my answer lower than the middle rating, then the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing. It is entirely your choice as to how you rate my answer. However, because your payment to me is in the nature of a donation/gift, rather than as compensation for any services rendered, you are entitled to know how your rating affects the final distribution of your donation.

If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!