Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
4460311

We are a construction company who usually does not do night

Customer Question

We are a construction company who usually does not do night work. We have been requested to do a job at 9 at night. Can our employees work their regular shift ending at 2 and report back to work 7 hours later?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

State law would not typically prohibit that, although you would normally be required to pay overtime to the employees for hours in excess of 8 per day.

Here is a link that summarizes the overtime laws with regard to construction workers:

http://corporate.findlaw.com/human-resources/bulletin-new-california-overtime-law-could-cost-unwary.html

It has been my pleasure to assist you. Please remember to press the smiley faces/stars on the right of your screen when we are finished with our communication so I will be credited for my time.

Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain your concern to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to you or not, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

Thank you very much and all the best to you,

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-tina/

Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Hello again,
I wanted to thank you for using JustAnswer, and to inquire whether my answer was helpful in clarifying your understanding of the law.
Is there anything else that I can assist you with? If not, would you please rate my service to you highly, so I will be compensated for my time? It is important that you provide me with a positive rating. If you do not, the site may keep your entire deposit and I receive nothing for having provided this service to you.
Also, please feel free to bookmark my profile if you have legal questions in the future using the following link: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-tina/
Thank you very much and good luck to you.