socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

Can we add the following questions to our employment application? In

Can we add the following questions to our employment application?

In addition to working for our company, would you also continue to work for another employer? If yes, does your other employer offer healthcare coverage? If yes, are you currently enrolled in their healthcare plan?
You would be exposing your organization to the risk of being charged with disability discrimination under both California and Federal law, as well as ERISA discrimination re health care benefits, because the questions could be used to screen out workers with preexisting health conditions who may increase your employment health care costs.

So, while you can include the questions, you could be shooting yourselves in the foot by doing so.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. I hope my answer is useful and informative to you. During our conversation, the website may ask you to rate my answer. If you rate my answer lower than the middle rating, then the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing. It is entirely your choice as to how you rate my answer. However, because your payment to me is in the nature of a donation/gift, rather than as compensation for any services rendered, you are entitled to know how your rating affects the final distribution of your donation.

If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!