Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
4460311

Tina - one more...this person is scheduled to return to work

Tina - one more...this person is scheduled to return to work tomorrow and is going to go into an outpatient program in the evenings. He is considering taking FMLA leave however due to the fear of pending termination. Can he be terminated when he returns to work tomorrow if he doesn't take FMLA? Thank you ever so much...
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome,

The FMLA is an important tool to protect an employee from termination or retaliation for up to 12 weeks. Yes, he should have requested FMLA leave from the beginning of his leave, and the employer could terminate him upon his return if he did not request such leave, unless he requests the leave as a reasonable accommodation under the ADA and it is not an undue hardship to the employer. He should request FMLA leave promptly if he is unable to return to work as it would provide greater protection than the ADA with regard to protecting his job status and protecting him from retaliation by the employer.

It has been my pleasure to assist you. Please remember to press the smiley faces/stars on the right of your screen when we are finished with our communication so I will be credited for my time.

Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain your concern to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to you or not, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

Thank you very much and all the best to you,

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-tina/

Tina, Attorney
Experience: JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The employer told him she was going to put him down as vacation leave. He is physically able to work now and completely detoxed but fears he should complete this FMLA paperwork and take some time off to figure things out. However, he's also been told that Disability does not pay for alcoholism anymore. Do you know anything about that? I'm happy to pay additional for these answers....thank you Tina.

Expert:  Tina replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,

Alcoholism may be a disability under state disability rules, but he should at least apply to find out for certain whether his circumstances would qualify.

Normally, if he is in a state-approved alcoholic recovery home or drug-free residential facility, the maximum payable period is 90 days. (However, disabilities related to or caused by acute or chronic alcoholism or drug abuse which are being medically treated do not have this limitation.)

Here is a link that provides more information on this issue:

http://www.edd.ca.gov/disability/DI_Benefit_Amounts.htm

If he is able to work now, then he should typically return to work and request the FMLA documentation immediately. The FMLA requires that an employee make the request as soon as is reasonably possible. If he was unable to while in rehab, then completing the documentation now may be reasonable under the statute, but if he fears retaliation, he really needs to engage a local attorney to represent him in this matter.