Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

I was fired for texting to a third party that "they need to

Customer Question

I was fired for texting to a third party that "they need to die" I have a clean record, have worked there 10 plus years, do you beleive this is a threat
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Have you filed a grievance with your union regarding the situation?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes I have filed a grievance about the situation and it was denied by the company.

Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately, the statement to a third party that 'they need to die' could be taken as a threat by your employer and would likely constittue sufficient good cause for you to be terminated from your position with the company.

I sincerely wish I had better news to give you, but I hope you appreciate a direct and honest answer to your question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

even with out a warning or anything in our union contract that states its a firing issue. our contract states there are only a few things that result in termination. the rest have to follow the stages of disapline. Those that you can get fired for our stealing company property or time, misuse or distruction of company property. using or distributing drugs on company property or time assulting a coworker or management while on company property or time.

Last month another employee in a fit of rage got in the managers face yelling and screaming and threating to kick his ass and all they did to him was give him anger management classes.

there has to be something i can do

Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Have you filed a grievance with your union regarding your termination?