Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

I recorded a convenrsation with my manager, because she had

Customer Question

I recorded a convenrsation with my manager, because she had previously told me I was a rude person and negative towards my other employees as well with her. I recorded the conversation to hear myself how I sounded but I deleted the voice memo. I was naive and told my boss that I had done that. NOw they want to fired me. Can they do that?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Are you a member of a union or do you have an employment contract with your employer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I'm not a member of a union and I don't have a contract. It is a non profit organization. Also my boss is telling all the managers what happened.
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Hello Denisse.

Unfortunately, as an at-will employee, you can be terminated at any time for any reason (including recording a conversation with your manager without her permission) with or without any prior notice.

This stems from the employment at-will doctrine, which is codified in California Labor Code Section 2922 and states:

"An employment, having no specified term, may be terminated at the will of either party on notice to the other. Employment for a specified term means an employment for a period greater than one month."

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX had better news to give you, but I hope you appreciate a direct and honest answer to your question.

Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Please remember to accept my answer so I get credit for my work!

Thanks and best of luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. I have one more question. My boss is telling the other managers the issue is that legal?
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Yes, unfortunately, that is legal. As long as the comments that are being made are true, your boss can tell other managers about the issue.
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Joseph,
I have a question my boss is moving to another job position with a lower pay rate. I know for a fact that there are 3 coworkers in the same job position I am moving to with a higher pay rate. And my boss has state me that is not fair for me to get more money than my other co workers. So I am having a rate of 13.82 per hours along with my other 10 coworkers in the same position but the 3 I mentioned in the beginning they get pay 18 per hours and they don't do any special or extra on the contrary they do less. Can I ask my boss to reconsider my pay rate?
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Hello Denisse,

Since this is a new question would you please repost it as a new question so I can answer it for you?

Thanks!