Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

Laid off last month

Hi- I'm in California and was laid off last month. Is my company required to give me any special documentation? I am elegible for unemployment benefits and they won't disput anything. Just wanted to know if I need an paperwork from my company. BTW, the company is based in New Zealand, if that has matters.

Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

If you are located in California, then the laws governing employmnt in the state of Calfornia would apply to your situation regardless of the location of your employer.

To answer your question, an employer need not provide any special documentation indicating that an employee has been laid off. The employee claiming unemployment benefits must simply state on his or her application the nature of the separation of employment. If the employer disputes what the employee has claimed (which you indicate will not happen), the employer will provide contrary evidence at an EDD hearing. There is not, however, any affirmative obligation to provide documentation reflecting that the separation of employment was a layoff or anything else.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX this information helps you and I wish you the best.

If you do not have any further concerns, I would be very grateful if you would give my answer a positive rating and click submit, as this is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you. If you have any additional concerns that you would like me to address, please feel free to let me know by hitting the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button and I will be more than happy to continue assisting you.

Finally, please bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.

Thank you and very kindest regards.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Significant experience in all areas of employment law.