LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.

My company says I am not entailed to a quarterly bonus that

Customer Question

My company says I am not entailed to a quarterly bonus that is outlined in my compensation plan. They said because they gave me an extra percentage in my first 90 days i am not elidgible to get my bonus. This is not mentioned any where in the paperwork I signed.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

What is the wording of the bonus specifically? Is it phrased in discretionary terms (i.e. "Company reserves the right to award Employee a bonus") or in mandatory terms (i.e. Company shall pay Employee a bonus of $______")?

Was it made clear to you that by receiving an extra "percentage" in your first 90 days that you were waiving the right to the bonus in your contract?

I very much look forward to assisting you regarding this matter.