Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
4460311

I have a contractor agreement that limits my taking a permanent

I have a contractor agreement that limits my taking a permanent job with client. I have been searching for over 2 years for a permanent job and once I started the contract, they stopped looking. One of my resumes actually hit and it is with the same client I am at. I am 61 years old and getting permanent positions has just not been available. I get a lot of interviews but no one wants to hire. They all ask me why I just don't retire. I need to take this position but I am worried about the limitation on Employment clause.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

You signed a non-compete provision with a former company for whom you worked and are concerned they may take legal action against you if you violate the terms of the provision? Did you have access to trade secrets during your tenure with that company?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, I have been a change management project manager.

The clause I am concerned with is the Limitation on Employment with Clients. This limits me for 12 months after termination engagement. I have an offer in hand for a different job in a different group but the same company.

Expert:  Tina replied 2 years ago.
Hello again, Louie, and thank you for the additional information.

This would typically be construed as a non-compete provision under CA law since it restrains you from working following your employment with a company. These are typically illegal in CA and unenforceable except in very limited situations, such as when the employee/contractor has access to trade secrets.

Therefore, you would typically be free to accept the position without legal recourse by the former company.

Here is a link that summarizes the law on this issue:

http://www.andersenalumni.net/%5CCalifornia%20Non-Compete%20Agreements.pdf

It has been my pleasure to assist you. Please remember to press the smiley faces/stars on the right of your screen when we are finished with our communication so I will be credited for my time.

Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain your concern to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to you or not, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

Thank you very much and all the best to you,

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-tina/

Tina, Attorney
Experience: JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.