How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 12055
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have knowingly collected ui benefits in ca while employed

Customer Question

i have knowingly collected ui benefits in ca while employed for about two months. I feel terrible. I want to know what the right thing to do is to turn my self in. I am very aware that what I did was wrong. I wan to turn it around and do the right thing. The edd is uanware of this ( so Far ) I'm aware that their will be consequences ( which I deserve ) How do I go about fixing this?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

I am very sorry to hear about your predicament.

Situations such as these are delicate and best handled through the assistance of a local criminal defense attorney. Your attorney can act as a liason to the EDD so that you are somewhat insulated form making admissions that are any more damaging that necessary during the process of returning the money you received and "coming clean."

You made a mistake, and with the currently dire state of the economy, mistakes of this kind are exceedingly common. You are trying to right the wrong here, and so the EDD will likely be unlikely to refer your fraud to the District Attorney for prosecution. Even if criminal charges were filed, the fact that you have voluntarily come forward to admit your mistake would mean that you would receive the most lenient possible sentencing--quite possibly a diversion program with no jail time and no "criminal record."

More likely, I'd guess that the extent of consequences stemming from your transgression will be a demand to pay penalties and return of the unalwfully paid benefits.

For more information on contacting the EDD with regard to UI fraud, see here: Keep in mind, though, that it would be best to hire an attorney to do this for you.

For attorney referrals, visit this link: or visit I particularly like Martin Dale because the site allows you to search attorneys by practice area and also provides attorney ratings. Again, you will want an attorney who specializes in criminal defense.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX this information helps you and I wish you the best.

If you do not have any further concerns, I would be very grateful if you would give my answer a positive rating and click submit, as this is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you. If you have any additional concerns that you would like me to address, please feel free to let me know by hitting the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button and I will be more than happy to continue assisting you.

Finally, please bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.

Thank you and very kindest regards.

Related California Employment Law Questions