Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

What are the laws re: eating and drinking in the workplace

What are the laws re: eating and drinking in the workplace?
What laws are you refering to?

(E.g.: Safety regulations regarding drinking in the workplace? Meal and hour regulation?)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Our rules have recently changed; we are now no longer permitted to have water--or anything edible--outside the lunch room.

There is no OSHA regulation that requires that food and water only be permited in the lunch room.

However, an at-will employer is alllowed to make up their own rules and regulations regarding food and beverages, and can decide to restrict food and beverages to only the lunch room.

This stems from the employment at-will doctrine, which is codified in California LAbor Code Section 2922, and states:

"An employment, having no specified term, may be terminated at the will of either party on notice to the other. Employment for a specified term means an employment for a period greater than one month."

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX had better news to give you, but I hope you appreciate a direct and honest answer to your question.