How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an employer who did not have workers comp at the time

This answer was rated:

I am an employer who did not have workers' comp at the time of an alleged injury on the job. I have coverage now. However, I have a worker who filed a claim based on an injury he alleges he sustained on the job several years ago(6-7 years). I was never told of his injury and has been more than the 5 years I believe he has to file the claim with the WCAB.

Along the process of the claim he waited several months (5) to decide on a QME and seek treatment. He did not follow through with any treatment, later hired a lawyer who appointed another QME without my consent for a AME because the first QME did not want to continue with the applicant.

It has now been over a year and have not received an updated QME report and the Judge has entered an intention to award the applicant based on stipulations for TD and medical treatments since the date of injury 8-8-11.

I am frustrated and do not know how to follow through with this. I have thus filed or an objection to intent and am expecting a reset of hearing based on not having a written panel QME given to me by the applicants lawyer, sworn statement from an individual who worked with him on the DOI and did not witness any injury to the applicant.

I am afraid at losing this case because I am not a lawyer. The I&A officer has been helpful to a degree. What are my chances???? Any feedback will help.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Is your question regarding your chances on obtaining a reset of hearing, or what your chances would be during the hearing on contesting benefits being awarded to the employee?

Did you bring up the statute of limitations in the hearing?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Not yet. The applicant's lawyer has been trying to keep me in the dark. The I & A officer does not think it will help because the applicant says it it hurts him now and he filed for the claim as of 8-8-11.

I think that you should definitely bring up the statute of limitations in arguing against the claim, since that would be your best basis for defeating the claim.

The only time that a person would be exempted from the statute of limtiations would be if he or she can demonstrate that he or she only recently became aware of the injury, which is unlikely if it occured at work. Furthermore, the length of time since the alleged injury and the filing of the claim would give you additional grounds to contest the claim since you can argue that many other things could have caused the injury and that there is not a sufficient causal connection between the injury and work.

Unfortunately, most of the grounds that you mentioned would not be sufficent to reset a hearing, since there is no requirement that there be a witness to the alleged injury or a statement from a co-worker on the day of injury.

If the attorney for the plaintiff violated the rules of discovery by failing to provide you with a copy of the QME report, that may be a sufficient basis, but you will typically need to demonstrate that you requested this information from plaintiff's counsel and he failed to provide you with the information.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Joseph, what aboout the delays in having a QME done by the plaintiff? Is there a time frame he has to seek treatment after filing a claim and receiving a list of a panel QME to choose from? Or can he delay and do it at his convenience? What about his lawyer not giving me any opportunity for discussion for an AME? I believe that is within my right???

Unfortunately, no, there is no set time frame for the plaintiff to have a QME.

You definitely should have had an opportunity to discuss and contest the AME, although that should have been done by the court, and it's not the responsibility of the lawyer to facilitate that discussion.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX had better news to give you, but I hope you appreciate a direct and honest answer to your question.
Joseph, Lawyer
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management
Joseph and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • LawTalk



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
< Last | Next >
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
  • Brandon, Esq.'s Avatar

    Brandon, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Has received a certificate of recognition from the California State Senate for his outstanding legal service.
  • melissamesq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Represent clients to maximum recovery in employment cases.
  • /img/opt/shirt.png Attorney2020's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have significant experience in employment law.
  • /img/opt/shirt.png Legal Counsel's Avatar

    Legal Counsel


    Satisfied Customers:

    California Licensed Attorney- 29 years- Wages, Hours, Overtime, Discrimination, Wrongful Termination.

Related California Employment Law Questions