socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

For a temp worker on temp contract, do i need to issue w2 or

Customer Question

For a temp worker on temp contract, do i need to issue w2 or can i issue 1099 for the tax ?
If i sign a 3 months contract as a temp job, can i renew for another 3 months or i have to change her to permenant employee ?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 years ago.
California law is extremely hostile to the concept of 1099 contractors. In order to determine your risk of being fined for misclassifying the worker, please review Employment Development Department Form DE 38. This is the same form that the state investigator would use to determine your obligation to pay a worker as a 1099 contractor or a W-2 Employee.

Once you determine the likely result of an EDD investigation, you can then weigh the benefits and risks and decide which way you want to go.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. I hope my answer is useful and informative to you. During our conversation, the website may ask you to rate my answer. If you rate my answer lower than the middle rating, then the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing. It is entirely your choice as to how you rate my answer. However, because your payment to me is in the nature of a donation/gift, rather than as compensation for any services rendered, you are entitled to know how your rating affects the final distribution of your donation.

If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!