Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

I work at target as a Teamleader/Key carrier, I put in my notice

I work at target as a Teamleader/Key carrier, I put in my notice on Friday Aug 31st after being putdown by my immediate supervisor regarding my job performance. He has been with This Target for approximately 5 months transferring from another Target in LA. I have been at target for 6 plus some years as a teamlead/keycarrier. My work ethics have never been in question I have always been a top performer making 20.85 per hour. since this particular superviser has been here he has downgraded me to and under average worker. He always compares me to his previous workers. I got very upset when this happened because he kept adding other complaints into the conversation saying that one of our team members transferred to another store because of me. I put in my two weeks noticed under duress. I have also put in a complaint to Targets HR personel.
My question is I want to file for unemployment would I qualify? My life is turned upside down now. I'm 59 will be 60 next month
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Yes, you should qualify for unemployment benefits even though you voluntarily quit your job. In order to be eligible to receive unemployment benefits if you voluntarily quit your job, you would need to establish that you had 'good cause' to do so. Meaning that a reasonable person in the same circumstances would also be forced to quit his or her job in the same circumstances.

Due to your immediate supervisor's treatment of you, you would definitely have a good case for establishing good cause for a voluntary quit.

Additionally, if you have any reason to believe that the supervisor's treatment of you was due to discrimination due to your age, I suggest that you file a complaint with either or both the EEOC and the DFEH.

You can file a charge with the EEOC using the information available online here:

You can file a complaint with the DFEH using the infromation available online here:

The DFEH and/or EEOC will investigate your complaint on your behalf and either file suit on your behalf or issue you a 'right to sue' letter so you can pursue your claim against your employer through a private attorney.