LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.

In the state of washington, after the weighted average is calculated

In the state of washington, after the weighted average is calculated for "working at two or more hourly rates" for the work week, does the employer have to pay 1 1/2 times or 2 times for hrs above 40 hrs? The Union contract is agreed at double time.
Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion.

Your question has been place under CA law---yet is states WA. Which state are you in?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Good morning,

Under both WA law, and federal wage laws, it is legal for an employer to pay different wages depending on the work being done by the employee. In fact there are even rules designed so that the employer and employee know how overtime worked should be paid when an employee works at two different tasks, and for differing hourly wages for each task.

When an employee works at two different jobs, and is paid at different wage rates for each job, the employer has two choices as to how to pay overtime.

The first is the weighted average. Using this method, the employee is paid overtime based on the weighted average of their non-overtime wage rates. If the number of hours worked at each pay rate varies from week to week, then this average must re-calculate this each week.

The second method is for you and your employer to agree, preferably in writing, that you will receive overtime at a rate not less than one and one-half times the hourly non-overtime rate applicable for the type of work performed during each overtime hour they work at that job.

You of course are free to quote a piece rate for each job---so long as he is paid at least minimum wage based on the hours worked.

If you have a contract which states that you must be paid double time for overtime hours, then you must be paid the double time. The employer though is free to calculate the overtime using either the weighted average or the type-of-work done approach.

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link if you have additional questions; and if you do, I ask that you please keep in mind that I do not know what you may already know or with what you need help, unless you tell me.

Please remember to press the smiley faces/stars on the right of your screen when we are finished with our communication so I will be credited for my time in assisting you. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and contact me with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain your concern to your satisfaction.

I wish you the best in 2012,