Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

Well in all honesty I am being evicted due to me not being

Customer Question

Well in all honesty I am being evicted due to me not being able to afford the rent. It says that you may remain eligible if your hours were cut resulting in a eviction. Mines were not but my wages were garnished which is does not mention anything about that being a reasonable circumstance.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you very much for rating my previous answer and for your followup inquiry.

If you are evicted because you cannot afford the rent and that results in you having to move somewhere that prohibits you from maintaining your job, you very well may have "good cause" for quitting, and thus not be precluded from receiving UE benefits. You will simply need to demonstrate to the EDD that you had no choice but to move and that you took reasonable measures to keep your job, either by looking for other housing in the area, or by looking into reasonable commuting options.

"Good cause" under these circumstances is not black and white, and the EDD will judge each claimant's applciation for benefits on the unique facts of their situation. The stronger the case you can make that you had no other option but to leave your job, the better your chance of succeeding on your claim for UE benefits.

Again, I sincerely hope that this information helps you and I wish you the best. If I have answered your question, I would again be very grateful for a positive rating of my service (since you are a subscription customer, there is no additional charge for this).

Please let me know if you have any additional concerns. Kindest regards and best wishes moving forward.