Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

Can we have a policy that female employees have to wear a

Can we have a policy that female employees have to wear a bra?
Hello and welcome,

What kind of work do the employees perform?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Bartenders and Servers at an upscale bar or restaurant.

Thank you for the additional information, Gianni.

Yes, as part of the employer's dress code, they can typically insist that female employees wear bras, and that would not typically violate any state or federal laws.

Sex discrimination claims typically are not successful unless the dress policy has no basis in social customs, differentiates significantly between men and women, or imposes a greater burden on women. Thus, a policy that requires female managers to wear uniforms while male managers are allowed to wear "professional dress" may be discriminatory. However, dress requirements that reflect current social norms generally are upheld, even when they affect only one sex. For example, in a decision by the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals in Harper v. Blockbuster Entertainment Corp., 139 F.3d 1385 (11th Cir. 1998), the court upheld an employer’s policy that required only male employees to cut their long hair.

Here is a link that provides more information on this issue as to wear the courts draw the line with regard to implementing and enforcing dress codes:

It has been my pleasure to assist you. Please remember to press the smiley faces/stars on the right of your screen when we are finished with our communication so I will be credited for my time. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain your concern to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to you or not, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

Thank you very much and all the best to you,

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have: