How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was only three years from my full teachers pension, but

This answer was rated:

I was only three years from my full teacher's pension, but forced to retire due to the emotional and physical stress caused by the constant bullying and harassment by the principal. He has since been removed from the school. Is there any way to seek damages for the 1000 dollars a month less I'm forced to receive for life now because I left early?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Do you believe that the principal discriminated against you due to a protected characteristic (such as race, gender, national origin, ethnicity, or sex)?

When did the harasment occur?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The principal was nothing more than a bully who at 48 years old did not have any respect for older teachers. I am African American, was 59 and had been a teacher for LAUSD for all most 23 years. Three years from full retirement . The principal decided I should find another school to finish out my time. I tried so hard , but due to the economy, other teaching positions just weren't there. So he decided to force me out through a measure of threats, after school meetings in his office where he was verbally abusive and at one point, picked up a chair to hit me. I became a nervous wreck and finally had to go out on emotional illness leave in October, 2011. I never returned to that school. I developed shingles several times over the next few months and the stress created a perfect environment for a skin disorder, I never knew I had called Hailey-Hailey. I became so sick I prayed to God I would just die. Finally after using up all my sick days I retired, unable to physically get out of bed. I could no longer live in California because of the reduced pension and was forced to relocate to Arizona where the heat is torture for a person with Hailey-Hailey. Every first of the month I am reminded of being short changed after working so hard for 23 years as an excellent teacher. It hurts me so much. It just doesn't seem fair and to now know the district replaced him, it hurts me even more.


Pamela McCoy

If you believe that you were discriminated against due to your age, you should file a complaint against the principal and LAUSD for discrimination in violation of the Age Discrimination in Employment Act and/or the Fair Employment and Housing Act.

You can file a complaint with the Department of Fair Employment and Housing using the information available online here:

You can file a charge against your employer with the EEOC using the information available online here:

I would suggest you do so as soon as possible, since you only have a year to file a complaint with the DFEH, and 300 days to file a complaint with the EEOC.

The DFEH and/or EEOC will investigate your complaint on your behalf and either file suit on your behalf or issue you a 'right to sue' letter so you can pursue your claim against your employer and the principal through a private attorney.

In addition to those measures, you would also have a cause of action against the principal for negligent and/or intentional infliction of emotional distress, in which you could pursue compensation for your lost pension, due to being forced to resign due to the principal's behavior.

This is a difficult cause of action to prove, but considering your situation, it would be worthwhile to pursue.

If you do hire an attorney to represent you, I would suggest that you hire an attorney on a contingency basis, so you only have to compensate the attorney if you receive a settlement or a verdict in your favor.

Joseph, Lawyer
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management
Joseph and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • LawTalk



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
< Last | Next >
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
  • Brandon, Esq.'s Avatar

    Brandon, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Has received a certificate of recognition from the California State Senate for his outstanding legal service.
  • melissamesq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Represent clients to maximum recovery in employment cases.
  • /img/opt/shirt.png Attorney2020's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have significant experience in employment law.
  • /img/opt/shirt.png Legal Counsel's Avatar

    Legal Counsel


    Satisfied Customers:

    California Licensed Attorney- 29 years- Wages, Hours, Overtime, Discrimination, Wrongful Termination.

Related California Employment Law Questions