Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

I worked on a job that was prevailing wage at Sac State University.

I worked on a job that was prevailing wage at Sac State University. I am a state certified journeyman electrician. My pay scale ,I thought was to be $58 an hour. I received $38 an hour on my paycheck. I was told by my employer that because I am getting benifits, which I am paying into every week, that I do not get the full $58 dollars an hour. I dont know who to talk to so I can find out if they are cheating me or not. Am I being taken advantage of????????????
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Are you receiving $38 an hour after taxes and benefits are deducted from your check, or are you receiving a basic rate of only $38 an hour?
No, unfortunately, you're not being screwed. You are just noticing the huge deductions that are made from your straight hourly wage.

In Sacramento county, the prevailing wage straight time rate is $57.94 for inside wiremen, however, the basic hourly rate (that you're being paid) is actually only $38.93 per hour, since the following deductions are made from your wage:

$10.63 per hour for 'health and welfare'

$4.50 for pension

$1.37 for training and

$.72 for other

You can see the alocation online here by clicking on the link and going down to step four and choosing 'Sacramento' county:

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlsr/pwd/index.htm