Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

can you get fired for not recovering from cancer after fmla

can you get fired for not recovering from cancer after fmla is exhausted? Working at a Ca Casino. Have 16 yrs of service
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Unfortunately, you can probably be terminated for not being able to return to work after your FMLA leave was exhuasted.

However, in certain circumstances, such as recovering from cancer, the reasonable accomodation that can be required under the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Fair Employment and Housing Act can include additional leave, as long as you would be able to return to work after the additional leave.

You should file a complaint with the Department of Fair Employment and Housing for discrimination on the basis of disability in violation of the Fair Employment and Housing Act, which you can do using the instructions available online here: