barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for over 12 years. MBA degree earned as well.
19958803

My employer (a hospital) has a new tardiness policy in effect

My employer (a hospital) has a new tardiness policy in effect where if you are ONE to 60 minutes late, you are penalized. I was told by someone that California labor law states you can be up to 7mins late without being penalized. Is this true?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  barristerinky replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for using JA. Unfortunately, there is no such labor law in CA regarding being late. Since all employment is "at will" unless someone is under an employment contract, then the employer is able to put in place any type of attendence/punctuality policy that they choose to.
.
The 7 minute rule relates to earlier times when someone actually had to punch in using a time clock and a punch card. The minute hand would only tick every 6 minutes so if someone was able to clock in from 12:00-12:06 then they were considered on time. But today with electronic timekeeping devices, this is not the case.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

Please remember to rate my answer. I will gladly continue our discussion until you have gotten the information you need.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” or “CONTINUE CONVERSATION” button.

.

Please keep in mind that I am trying to help you understand and resolve your situation. I don't make the laws, I am just reporting or interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

.
Please be patient as I am typically working with several customers at any given time. Some answers take 5 minutes, some 35 minutes. But rest assured, I will get back to you.

.

I am not entering into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. With that in mind, do not post any specific information you do not want available for public viewing. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

barristerinky, Attorney
Experience: Attorney for over 12 years. MBA degree earned as well.