Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

I have worked for U Haul since 7-2-2009 as a hourly manager,

I have worked for U Haul since 7-2-2009 as a hourly manager, and every week since I have started I have worked at the least 55 hours per week and only turned in 40 hours per week, to keep payroll in line since they do not allow enough payroll to cover what needs to be done correctly to keep your job. They are well aware that I was working off the clock and not taking my lunch breaks. I have documented my time different periods throughout my employment, and I have other proof that I have worked off the clock, including my employees. I have gotten to the point that I now longer want to do this but I am afraid for my job if I turn in all my hours. There are a couple other hourly managers that do turn in there time and get reprimanded for doing so. I want to n
know if I am due my past pay and what I can do about my current dilemma.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Yes, you would be due for the overtime hours that you worked (all hours in excess of 8 during the day or 40 during the week) and an hour's pay for all lunch breaks that you were required to work through.

You can file a wage claim against your employer with the Department of Industrial Relations using the forms available online here:

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/HowToFileWageClaim.htm
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Would it be better to get a attorney, since I am still working there and will be afarid for my job.

No, it's not necessary to get an attorney to file a wage claim. Also, your employer is legally prevented from discriminating against you or retaliating against you for filing a wage claim.

If your employer were to do so, you would have a cause of action for wrongful termination in violation of public policy against your employer.