Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

I was recently employed as an esthetician at a salon in PAlm

I was recently employed as an esthetician at a salon in PAlm Springs, CA. I was required to be there the hours I was scheduled. I was only paid commission on the clients I serviced. I was required to attend staff meetings, trainings and after hours events and not compensated for this. I was told I should be paid at least minimum wage for these hours. Is this true?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Yes, you should have been paid at least minimum wage for all staff meetings, trainings, and after hours events that you were required to attend.

You can and should file a wage claim against your employer if your employer refuses to pay you the amount that is due.

In addition to the wages due, you would be due a day's penalties per day you were required to wait to receive the wages that you are due, for up to 30 days of penalties.

You can file a wage claim with the Department of Industrial Relations using the forms available online here: