How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I work for the USDA US Forest Service and have been working

This answer was rated:

I work for the USDA US Forest Service and have been working on a discriminnation case for two years and the case i decided to rescind my case. Q- Can i still sue/ ask for punitive damages or any damages that pertain to emotional stress, and file suit for other agency person falsifing a governmentr documents to build a case against me. The agency decided to rescind the suspension and i am, trying to settle my expenses, back pay interest, pay correction while i was on administrative leave, legal consultants fees (non lawyer fees) . Can i get a lawyer with no money down or when i win i then pay? Larry [email protected], XXX-XXX-XXXX
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Did you file a complaint with the Department of Fair Employment and Housing or the EEOC regarding the discrimination?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes i did (EEOC) and then the agency rescinded my suspension (a year and half later) and i still had my case of discrimination against the agency, then we ask/ went to medeation to settle for corrections to the back pay and my expenses and i would of dropped the discimination case but with no result(agency did not try to solve issues and they were unprepaired and not willing to even do a settlement). Now its been two years.

So we just went back into EEOC (July-August 2012), i was to have a disposistion and this is when i decided to rescinde the discrinination case. So the disposistion was conceled and my legal consultants are working on my list of expenses right now, plus we are trying to get thier fees also paid for. But i am being told becuse they were not lawyers i may not get that cost back. I stated i went through lawyer referal and talk with 6 lawyers who once herd that i was working for the government and my case was against the government they said no thank you, XXXXX XXXXX tie up resorces or time to fight againts the government. So with that being said i was told about these legal consultants and hired them since no lawyer would help me. Thats my claim for hiring them instead of a lawyer. I had no choice!. EEOC Judges Order now has it that i did conceled my discrimination case and we are working on my expense list.which has to be in by August 7, 2012. This is were i stand as today.

Did you receive a 'right to sue' letter from the EEOC? If so, when did you receive it? When did you suffer from emotional stress?

Was that at the time of the discrimination, or do you mean you suffered from emotional stress due to their opposition to your case?
The statute of limitations for emotional distress is two years, so you would still be able to sue for emotional distress as long as the emotional distress occured within the past two years.

The statute of limitations for fraud is three years, so you could sue relating to the fraudulent document within three years of discovering the fraud.

You can hire an attorney on a contingency basis, so you'd only have to compensate the attorney if you receive a settlement or a verdict in your favor.

You can find an attorney online here:
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Letter to sue would of been when or if i lost my first part of the EEOC which i think was and half year ago, who would i check to see what dates. I guess call EEOC. Suffer from emotional stree was from March 2010 to when i decided to rescinde my discrimination claim. During the first six months the agency tried to fire me but suspended me instead and i keep my discrimination claim going till the agency and we found my due process was denied.

Yes my stress was in the last two years uo to this date. This thing started March 2010 and we are still fighting my case.

Yes, you should check with the EEOC. Unfortunately, you only have one year from the date that you receive your right to sue letter to file suit, so you wouldn't be able to still sue for discrimination.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I stand to be corrected, its been so stressful.

I was denied EEOC and we went to Merit System Protection Board and thats where we are now.

Does this make a difference?

I am also looking for a lawyer who would take the case with out a $7500.00 retanner. I got one such call, i do not have or can get that type of money, not knowing for sure how it would come out, if i would win or not?

Yes, that does make a difference. Unfortunately, the statute of limitations has passed on your EEOC claim, so any cause of action that you may have would be extremely limited.

I would definitely suggest that you find an attorney who is willing to take the case without such a high retainer, especially since I would judge the chances of success in your case as minimal at best.
Joseph, Lawyer
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management
Joseph and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • LawTalk



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
< Last | Next >
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.
  • Brandon, Esq.'s Avatar

    Brandon, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Has received a certificate of recognition from the California State Senate for his outstanding legal service.
  • melissamesq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Represent clients to maximum recovery in employment cases.
  • /img/opt/shirt.png Attorney2020's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have significant experience in employment law.
  • /img/opt/shirt.png Legal Counsel's Avatar

    Legal Counsel


    Satisfied Customers:

    California Licensed Attorney- 29 years- Wages, Hours, Overtime, Discrimination, Wrongful Termination.

Related California Employment Law Questions