socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

can you claim property if its in a safe deposit box at the

Customer Question

can you claim property if its in a safe deposit box at the bank if everyone has already gone through probate for a living will with an executor. If I am the heir but not listed in the will? The safe deposit box was not listed in the trust.
Submitted: 4 years ago via EmployeeIssues.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 4 years ago.
Whose name(s) is/are on the safe deposit account?

Is the person named also the trustee?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The name is under my grandmother and the trustee is her sister as well as the executor
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
my grandmother has passed and they have already been to court to settle the property and proceeds
If the case was probated, then only the personal representative appointed to administrate the estate by the court can collect the contents of the box and distribute it according to the decedent's Will and trust.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. I hope my answer is useful and informative to you. During our conversation, the website may ask you to rate my answer. If you rate my answer lower than the middle rating, then the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing. It is entirely your choice as to how you rate my answer. However, because your payment to me is in the nature of a donation/gift, rather than as compensation for any services rendered, you are entitled to know how your rating affects the final distribution of your donation.

If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!