Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

ra-jp

Customer Question

The owner of the company where I worked started yelling at me and raised her cane pointing it at me and shaking it at me....I immediately resigned and left the building....after she called me into her office and started saying all kinds of strange things..I said I two times I have nothing to say to you...she asked about my paycheck and I said mail it....there were witnesses and they all were shocked....she scared me and I even thought about going to the police, her son was there (co-owner) and did nothing to stop her and he never said a word to me....I am going to file for unemployment ...
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

What question do you have regarding your situation?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
where is your response???
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
I asked what question you have regarding your situation? Please respond, and I'll write my response.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I already wrote it out and sent it...I am doing it again. I am going to apply for unemployment benefits. I feel I am entitled due to the workplace violence, hostile action and threatening me with her cane. I have been there for 6 years. Will I receive the benefits? Do I need to go to a labor lawyer. Who do I contact? I have witnesses. Thanks
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello.

Yes, you would be entitled to unemployment benefits since you left your job for 'good cause,' since you were in a very hostile work environment.

"Good cause" is definied as a reason that would make a reasonable person who wanted to stay employed leave employment in the same circumstnaces.

Having a fear for your physical safety would definitely constitute sufficient good cause for you leaving your job.

You don't need to contact a labor lawyer. You just need to apply for unemployment benefits, which you can do online here:

https://eapply4ui.edd.ca.gov/

Also, you can read more about good cause for voluntary quits online here:

http://www.edd.ca.gov/uibdg/Voluntary_Quit_VQ_5.htm