Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

After 17-1/2 years I was terminiated without cause (they downsized)

After 17-1/2 years I was terminiated without cause (they downsized) from my position as full charge indistrial purchaser for an engineering and manufacturing company. The termination took place on 7/13/12. I was promised 12 weeks of pay as the severance package and told that my health insurance would continue for 1 month from the date of termination. The head of HR signed a form for SSA declaring that I had creditable medical and perscription drug coverage until 8/13/12. According to the pharmacy our coverage has beed canceled. I called the head of HR and she said that it was an error and that the coverage was being reinstated. That did not happed. I called again and she said that there has been a computer glitch, that it affected all the people who were let go and that it was being worked on. Yesterdays message was that the one person who was working to resolve the problem was out sick.
I believe that it is now time for me seek information about possible remedies for this situation.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

What question do you have regarding your situation?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Relist: Other.

Got no answer . Do I now have to cancel my credit card because this is a scam?

Or will I actually receive information I can use regarding the situation with my ex-employer's lack of faith?

No, this is not a 'scam.' I asked you what question you have regarding the situation?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can I force my ex-employer to give me the medical coverage they promised?

What do I have to do to force them to give me what they promised?

Can I sue them for financial harm for not reinstating my medical insurance like they promised?

I need to ask one more question before I can answer these questions for you.

Did you have a contract (verbal or written) that stated that your employer would provide you with medical coverage for a certain amount of time?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes. As indicated on line # XXXXX of my original question.
Yes, you could sue your former employer for breach of contract for not providing you with the medical insurnace as promised.

You could request the costs and financial harm that you suffered as a result of their breach of your agreement with them.

You would also have a cause of action against your employer for negligence for negligently failing to provide you with the insurance coverage per your verbal contract with your former employer.

You could also sue for 'specific performance' of the contract, which would require your ex-employer to provide you with the insurance coverage per your contract with them.