Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

I previously asked this question and the attorney had to refer

I previously asked this question and the attorney had to refer it but I do not have an answer. I am currently collecting California Disability Insurance because Worker's Comp has not started to pay my pending claim. I am enrolled in an online university course to achieve retraining that does not conflict with my doctor's activity restrictions. I am wondering how the acceptance of a student loan will affect my benefit payments. Part of the money will be deposited into my student account for tuition and part disbursed to me for living expenses. Will my payments be suspended and do I have to report the amount of the entire loan or only that amount disbursed to me?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I am still waiting. Thanks!
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 2 years ago.
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

No, since the loan that you receive is not considered income, you are not obligated to report the amount that you receive to EDD, and it will not affect the amount of benefits that you will receive from SDI.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The certification form asks for a report of all income including loans and gifts. I am being paid by the State of California EDD temporary disability fund - not SDI. This is why I am not sure - although perhaps they just want to know all income I am receiving regardless of the source.
Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.
Does the form specifically state that you need to report loans and gifts? If that's the case, then you would be obligated to report the loan, but as I previously mentioned, since the loan is not earned income, (and not actually income at all) it wouldn't affect the amount in benefits that you receive from EDD.

(Also EDD governs the distribution of SDI, so you are receiving income from SDI and EDD, not just EDD).
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management