Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

Correctional Officers are being discriminated against at Ironwood

Correctional Officer's are being discriminated against at Ironwood State Prison because of Military Affiliation, because if any other non-military Correctional Officer has Jury Duty they are given the time off to attend Jury Duty and they are re-assigned to the Watch Office as a schedule change for Jury Duty. That is normal procedure for Jury Duty. Our Prison Warden feels she can not accommodate Correctional Officers serving in the military in the same manner her reason for refusing to accommodate these Correctional Officers serving in the military is if she did it for (1) Correctional Officer she would have to do it for everyone that is discrimination!
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

It is illegal for an employer to discriminate on the basis of military affiliation.

If military members are being denied the same accommodations that non-military members are receiving that would constitute illegal discrimination as discrimination on the basis of military status can "take the form of refusing to hire, failing to reemploy, discharging, failing to promote, harassing, or discriminating against a person with respect to any other term, condition or privilege of employment."

In addition to pursuing a 4th level grievance with the union, I would also suggest that you contact the Employment Litigation Department of the Civil Rights Division of the Department of Justice regarding the discrimination.

You can do so using the contact information available online here: