Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

What is the rule on "Person Most Knowledgeable"? If a corporation

What is the rule on "Person Most Knowledgeable"? If a corporation is ordered to produce a PMK, does the PMK have to gather all documents himself or can he be assisted by his attorney or staff?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Hello.

The person most knowledgable does not have to gather all documents by him or herself and can be assisted by his or her attorney or staff in gathering the documents.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does that apply to CA? If so, could you please let me know if there is any authority behind that. Thank you very much.
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Yes, this applies to California. There is nothing that specifically states that person most knowledgable may be assisted in gathering documents. However, in this instance, what the law doesn't state is more important, since there's nothing in the law that requires the person most knowledgable to gather documents by him or herself.

Basically, this would be impossible to do in many situations also, for instance, where the person most knowledgable is currently an ex-employee of the company.

It would be completely illogical to require that person to gather and produce all relevant documents when he or she is no longer an employee of the company.
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management