Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

I was recently terminated in CA from a large company after

Customer Question

I was recently terminated in CA from a large company after 12 years of service. I had only one write up in my file which was heresay from 2 corporate associates although I worked in the field and had very little exposure to them. I am over 50 years old. Do I have any recourse?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about yoru situation and hope I can help.

Unfortunately, as an at-will employee, you can be termianted at any time for any reason with or without any prior ntoice.

This stems from the employment at-will doctrine, which is codified in California Labor Code Section 2922, and states:

"An employment, having no specified term, may be terminated at the will of either party on notice to the other. Employment for a specified term means an employment for a period greater than one month."

However, if you believe that you were discrimianted against on the basis of your age, then you should file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission for discrimination in violation of the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (or "ADEA").

You can file a complaint using the instructions available online here:

The EEOC will investigate the complaint on your behalf and either file suit on your behalf or issue you a right to sue letter so you can
pursue your claim against your employer through a private attorney.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I sent a follow-up question, did you not receive that one?
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
No, I didn't. Could you please re-type it?