Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

employer is local water district - supervisor has drug problems

Customer Question

employer is local water district - supervisor has drug problems and routinely is rude, disrespectful, creates pervasive hostile workplace, always has 1 employee he harasses unmercifully, but current victim is not in the protected class - any remedy?
Submitted: 4 years ago via EmployeeIssues.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Unfortunately, the supervisor's treatment of the employee, while extremely immoral and inhumane, is not illegal, since it is not discrimination based on a protected characteristic.

If the employee hasn't already done so, I would suggest that he or she make a complaint to HR about the supervisor's abusive behavior, but as I mentioned before, since it's not based on discrimination due to a protected characteristic, there is no legal remedy against the supervisor and employer.

I wish I had better news to give you, but I hope you appreciate a direct and honest answer to your question.