Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

State: CA Ok im moving to L.A. for a job my offer letter

State: CA

Ok im moving to L.A. for a job my offer letter states candidates are subject to pre-employment background checks. I start in about a month moving from AZ to CA. They are paying my relocation and its also in my offer letter. Since I do not believe they will do a pre-employment check and i think they or may not do one when i arrive. If they terminate me what rights do i have?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

Do you have an employment contract with your employer or just an offer letter?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
just the offer of employment. & no questions about background has been asked.
Unfortunately, as an at-will employee, you can be terminated at any time for any reason with or without prior notice, so, unfortunately, you wouldn't have any cause of action against your potential employer if you were terminated due to a pre-employment check.

This stems from the employment at-will doctrine, which is codified in California Labor Code Section 2922, and states:

"An employment, having no specified term, may be terminated at the will of either party on notice to the other. Employment for a specified term means an employment for a period greater than one month."

I wish I had better news to give you, but I hope you appreciate a direct and honest answer to your question.