Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

Hi! I am a CA resident who just got dismissed from my 40 hour

Hi! I am a CA resident who just got dismissed from my 40 hour per week job. I also work in two self-contractor capacities: Sunday School teacher (paid per lesson) and tax-return assembler for an accountant on an as-needed basis. These are both 1099 positions. I have two questions. One, should I report payment received in the last 18 months for work actually done prior to the last 18 months? Two, will the contract jobs preclude me from receiving unemployment benefits? My 40 hour per week job has been, by far, been my primary source of income for the last 11 months, but prior to that my 1099 work was my sole source of income. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Yes, you should report all income received in the last 18 months, even for work that was actually done prior to the last 18 months.

The contract jobs should not preclude you from receiving unemployment benefits, as long as you make less from the contract jobs than the amount that you would receive in benefits.

You need to report all income that you receive (from all sources) to the EDD when you are filling out claim forms and your benefits will be reduced in accord with the amount that you earn through your 1099 contract jobs.
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management