Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

Greetings, During 2011 I was a full-time employee with

Greetings,

During 2011 I was a full-time employee with a government contractor serving as a Systems Administrator for a branch of the Department of Homeland Security. In December of that year, I was called on many occassions by a recruiter from a well-known Temp Employment Agency who informed me that my employer lost the contract to another company and that they would like me to switch over with the new contractor and that his TempEmploy agency would oversee the transition into their company and that I'd serve as a temporary employee with them until the transition into the new company as a permanent employee was finalized. The recruiter told me this process would take anywhere from 2-6 months. He also made these verbal promises to the other contractors throughout the country as well.

7 months has expired and this TempAgency recruiter is not returning anyone's calls or emails and we now are starting to feel duped. What are my legal rights regarding my employment contract? Could this be considered a class action?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Did you have an employment contract with the temporary agency recruiter or were you just promised a position in the company?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes there is a contract, but the promise made to many of us was verbal
Expert:  Joseph replied 1 year ago.
You would have a cause of action for breach of contract, even if the contract was only based on a verbal agreement. It is difficult to prove verbal contracts, since they do rely on the testimony of the people involved, but since many people had verbal contracts with the temporary agency, it would be easier to prove.

It would have the basis for a class action as well, as long as a number of employees were similarly situated, had similar employment contracts, and the temporary agency breached the agreements that it had with the employees.

If you are interested in hiring an attorney to represent you and pursue a possible class action, I would suggest you contact one online here:

www.lawyers.com

I would suggest that you hire an attorney on a contingency basis, so you'd only have to compensate the attorney if you receive a settlement or a verdict in your favor.
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management