In order to be able to collect unemployment you have to show that you are either not terminated for cause, or that you are justified in quitting.
Because the demand that you also attend school now in addition to your full time job---and you will not be compensated for that time constitutes a major change in your work obligations and your inability, or decision not to do that, would clearly appear to be valid and a proper justification if you were to quit. And if you were to be let go because you did not agree to do it,m it would almost certainly be consider NOT a termination for good cause.
Justification in quitting your job which might be persuasive to an Unemployment Insurance Appeals panel would include:
- Sexual or other harassment
- Needing to move with a spouse or dependent child to another place of residence
- Discrimination (Ethnicity, Color, Religion, National Origin, Age, Sex and Disability)
- Working conditions that endanger your health or safety
- Major changes in the terms and conditions of your job affecting wages or salary
- Excessive overtime or an employer’s refusal to pay for overtime work
- Major changes in work duties
- Difficult relations with a supervisor, for which you are not primarily responsible
- Your employer is doing things which break the law
- Pressure from your employer or fellow workers to quit your job
I believe that you will qualify for unemployment benefits if you do not go to the school and are let go. Because your employer may change their mind and not terminate you---you would be better off to allow them to let you go than to resign. It will simply make your application for unemployment a bit cleaner in my expectation.
You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation
or Reply to Expert
link if you have additional questions; and if you do, I ask that you please keep in mind that I do not know what you may already know or with what you need help, unless you tell me.
Kindly take a moment to rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided. Please understand that I have no control over the how the law impacts your particular situation, and I trust you agree that it would be unfair for me to be punished by a (negative rating) ----the first 2 stars/faces----for having been honest with you about the law.
I wish you the best in 2012,