socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

In 1995 EDD did an audit on my small business for years 1992/1993

I had used services of couple of indepandant contractors and issued 1099.
EDD reclassified them as an employees and wanted me to pay payroll taxes.
If I pay the principal amount only w/o interest and penalties.
Can I appeal to the board and have thenhearing scheduled, so I can present my case.The contractors I used actually were other small businesses.
EDD told me that I have to pay in full, but I read somewhere on line that they operate quarterly and each quarter I suppose is a separate time unit and thierfore I should be able to appeal for that period of time.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I still need help
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 2 years ago.
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly
Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 years ago.
Hello again.

I have spend about 30 minutes scouring the UI Code and the CUIAB regulations and I do not see anything that suggests you must pay the assessment as a condition precedent to perfecting an appeal to the CUIAB. What I do see is that UI Code 1224 makes every ALJ decision final and UI Code 1135 adds a 10% penalty to the assessment if not paid before the 30-day expiaration date on which an appeals petition to the CUIAB is filed.

In other words, if you file the petition before the 30-day expiration, then the ALJ decision is not final and no assessment is due.

Note: There isn't a lot of scholarly treatises concerning these administrative actions, and the laws and regulations are hard to find. So, my answer here may be missing something. But, the statutory law preempts any regulation, and my reading of UI Code 1224 seems to indicate that you are not required to pay anything as long as your appeal is filed before the end of the 30-day expiration period.

Please let me know if I can clarify or assist you further.

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. I hope my answer is useful and informative to you. During our conversation, the website may ask you to rate my answer. If you rate my answer lower than the middle rating, then the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing. It is entirely your choice as to how you rate my answer. However, because your payment to me is in the nature of a donation/gift, rather than as compensation for any services rendered, you are entitled to know how your rating affects the final distribution of your donation.

If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!

socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience: Retired (mostly)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

"To Socrateaser"

I think I may have not expressed myself clearly

I am talking here about 1995 assesment which I never received

I filed petition just now because i just learned about the case now in

Sept 2011 and the judge desided it was not timely petition

but I can still appeal if I pay in full.

My question is if I pay the original amount from 1995 not including pennalty and taxes can I still appeal

Are you talking about appealing to the CUIAB or to the Superior Court?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

in order for me to appeal to CUIAB they wanted 1st to hold the hearing if my appeal was timely. The ALJ says it is not and I appealed his decsn to the board and now awaiting for thier reply. If they say no them my options are to pay in full and appeal to them again or togo to superior cort and ask the judge to oredr them to hear my appeal.

My question is : Can I only pay them a principal amount of the original assesment from 1995 w/o interest and pennalties and appeal to them CUIAB like I am appeling for separate quarter/period only, because this is how they have thier statements brocken down by quarters.

Once I am able to get to them and hear me out , I am pretty sure I can argue the contractors were contractors not employees and then it will be the same for the entire liability that they made up.

A: That's what I thought, but I wanted to make certain we were both on the same page.

A: No. The reason why is because all of these issues arose from the "same transactions or occurrences." When you bring an action to the Superior Court, there is a hard and fast rule that you cannot break up the action into little bites. You have to sue on the whole "bundle of rights" or you waive the right to sue on the claims you choose not to make (legally termed the doctrine of "res judicata" -- "already adjudicated"). So, if you make a part payment, then you are telling the court that your case is only about that portion of the claim, and that you are committing to pay the rest, because you cannot ask the court to consider that amount in its judgment.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
To SocrateaserSo the way I undertstand your answer is that I need to wait for the CUAIB to rule in favor of EDD and then just take that to superior court , instead of paying the liability EDD and then try to request a refund and deal with CUSIB again.