Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

Hi, My question is If I voluntarily left my job to return

My question is If I voluntarily left my job to return to school and haven't found a job yet will I be eligible to receive unemployment?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Unfortunately, you probably will not be eligible for unemployment benefits since you voluntarily quit your job.

In order to be eligible for unemployment benefits if you voluntarily quit your job, you need to have left for 'good cause,' which means that a reasonable person who wanted to stay employed would have also left his or her job in the same circumstances.

Unfortunately, typically leaving employment to attend school is not of a compelling enough reason to substantiate good cause to receive unemployment benefits.

You can read more about establishing good cause in relation to leaving employment for schooling here:

Additionally, if you are taking a full class load, you would be considered to be unavailable to accept full-time employment, which would make you ineligible to receive unemployment benefits, since you need to be ready and available to work to receive benefits.

I wish I had better news to give you, but I hope you appreciate a direct and honest answer to your question.