Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

After 15 1/2 yrs working for this clinic ,on April 12, 2012

Customer Question

After 15 1/2 yrs working for this clinic ,on April 12, 2012 I was told by Medical Director and Ob-gyn Director that my job as a nurse practitioner is terminated.The reasons patients complaints and documentation . These allegations was never discussed with me prior.So up to now I am confused if I could have done something to improve my documentation and whatI could have done if I had known the nature of patient complaint .I have been a nurse for 29 1/2 yrs. never had problem with employer until now .I do not wish to end my career with a word terminated ,please help do I have a case to pursue this in court of law?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Unfortunately, as an at-will employee, you can be terminated at any time for any reason (even a bad or false one) with or without any prior notice.

This stems from the employment at-will doctrine, which is codified in California Labor Code Section 2922, and states:

"An employment, having no specified term, may be terminated at the will of either party on notice to the other. Employment for a specified term means an employment for a period greater than one month."

Unfortunately, unless you believe that you were discriminated against due to a protected characteristic (such as race, gender,
national origin, ethnicity, sex, or age (over 40)) you wouldn't have a cause of action against your employer even though the allegations
weren't brought to your attention prior to your termination.

I wish I had better news to give you, but I hope you appreciate a direct and honest answer to your question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your honest answer to my inquiry .yes I am 61 yrs old ,age did not matter because I see 3 plus pt. an hour ,and received bonus almost every month unless I went on vacation .i was one of most productive employee at the clinic year after year.
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
If you believe that you were discriminated on the basis of age, you should file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission for discrimination in violation of the Age Discrimination in Employment Act.

You can file a complaint using the instructions available online here:

The EEOC will investigate your complaint on your behalf and either file suit on your behalf or issue you a 'right to sue' letter so you can pursue your claim against your employer through a private attorney.