Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

As a retired principal in the California State Teachers retirement

As a retired principal in the California State Teachers retirement System how do I change my beneficiary if we never married and were only engaged?
Someone will have to be familiar with the CALSters system regarding beneficiaries.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

You need to fill out the "Recipient Designation" form and return it to CalSTRS at the address here:

CalSTRS
P.O. Box 15275, MS 43
Sacramento, CANNN-NN-NNNNbr/>
The form is available here:

https://forms.calstrs.com/CalSTRSOnlineFormRequestWebUI/Root/Pages/OpenAttachment.aspx?FormId=387dba55-57e0-4302-8403-1d6885c72c82

This will change your current beneficiary to the one that you list on the form.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Joseph

I am not interested in my one time death benefit beneficiary.

My conern is that regarding my pension.

I was told by CALSTERs that I must either:

Get married and within six months my new bride is my beneficiary

My current ex-fiance would have to expire

After my new marriage if I get divorced, I could then name myself as the new beneficiary

Jay

Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.
Since you were never married, your ex-fiance is not entitled to any of your pension, and would only be considered a beneficiary had you listed her as a beneficiary, since she would only be entitled to a portion of your pension under community property had you been married while you were earning your pension.

As a fiance, she doesn't have any rights to your pension, and she would be treated the same as any ex-girlfriend that you have.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Joseph

She is listed as my beneficiary...so sorry that this is taking so long but she is and I have been told that only three ways to change:

death of my beneficiary

I get married and name a new beneficiary since she was never a spouse or partner

get divorced...can't do that...never married

Jay

Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.
The information that you received from CalSTERS was based on their incorrect assumption that you were married and that she was an ex-spouse and not an ex-fiance.

Since she was only an ex-fiance she has no legal claim to your benefits outside of being listed as beneficiary currently.

Since she's currently listed as a beneficiary, she would only receive benefits in the event of your death, which you can change by filling out the form that I linked to above and sending it to CalSTERS.
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management