Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

I am given 30 days to correct my writting skills. If I dont

Customer Question

I am given 30 days to correct my writting skills. If I don't improve I can be fired. I feel I am singled out and targeted. My boss who is correcting me on grammer, I have found is not correct himself. And in some cases I am not wrong in the writhing style I choose. Can I be terminated for this? And if so do I have a case? It was also not required I have any kind of college degree or writing degree. And my boss as admited he is not a professional writter as well.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

Unfortunately, as an at-will employee, you can be terminated at any time for any reason (including alleged poor writing skills) with or without any prior notice.

This stems from the employment at-will doctrine, which is codified in California Labor Code Section 2922, and states:

"An employment, having no specified term, may be terminated at the will of either party on notice to the other. Employment for a specified term means an employment for a period greater than one month."

I wish I had better news to give you, but I hope you appreciate a direct and honest answer to your question.